Archive

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

A New Blog

For those of you that were following my old blog - thanks! I realized after a number of months off, that the original reason that I started the first blog was as a creative outlet, a way to get away from it all and speak/write about things that I didn't have to think too deeply about. That said, with each post, I also realized that what I was really doing was trying to avoid having to write about the thing that consumes my thoughts for the better part of most days - my son's autism. I say it that way because in my mind at least, my son and his condition are two separate entities, each with its own personality and identity, and each with its own place in this world. So for that, and many other reasons, Amy and I decided that we would start a blog about being parents of a child with autism, with the hope that perhaps we could help people better understand our lives, and that we might be able to help another couple out there who is just like us - just waking up everyday trying to make it work. I hope that all of you find this blog useful and that it brings us all closer together.

As for the name, Amy and I often joke that our son is like Mowgli from the Jungle Book, born into the wrong culture - where pants and underwear are required, where people don't generally introduce themselves with a personal space-violating hug, and where popsicles and chex mix aren't considered a balanced diet.

We hope you enjoy this. And here we go....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Contributors